In Brussels lobbying is the oil that makes the wheels go round. No institution, no member state, no political group, no special interest can push a policy through unaided. Everyone needs allies, and everyone needs to lobby. But while Brussels has many lobbyists – only Washington is said to compare − only a few operate on the level of the superlobbyist.
Step by step, and with many revealing and candid anecdotes of his own successes and failures, Brussels public affairs specialist Milos Labovic shows what is needed to raise your game to superlobbyist level. “Knowing the animals in the EU jungle”, understanding how the legislative process works and when and how to engage, building your networks strategically – these are among the keys to success. The book includes extra insights from numerous contributors as varied as Herman Van Rompuy, Frits Bolkestein, Richard Corbett, Eva Maydell, Emilio De Capitani and many others.
This book is for aspiring superlobbyists, students, journalists, academics, civil servants and anyone who wants to understand how Brussels really works. First published in Dutch in 2017, it is now available, revised and expanded, for the first time in English.
Table of Contents
PART I: ORGANISING YOUR SUPERLOBBY
- Why lobby in Brussels?
- Your EU superlobby starts at home
- Learn from my mistakes
- Write it down: the role of the position paper
- Get yourself a super-intern
PART II: GET TO KNOW THE ANIMALS IN THE EU JUNGLE
- The empty cockpit: no-one “runs” the EU
- The European Commission
- The European Parliament
- The Council and the Permanent Representations
- National parliaments
- Everyone else
PART III: MASTER THE PROCESS AND PROCEDURES
- EU strategic planning
- Impact assessments
- The ordinary legislative procedure
- Delegated acts and implementing acts
- EU international trade policy: what you need to know about anti-dumping
- Lobbying through the European Parliament
- Lobbying through your national capital
PART IV: SHORTCUTS TO SUCCESS
- This is how you easily read EU legislation
- This is how you lobby during the European elections
- This is how you seize the momentum of the presidency
- This is how you organise a fantastic advocacy event in Brussels
- This is how you organise a study visit that has a lasting impact
- This is how you use Instagram for public affairs
- This is how you get the Euro-billions
- This is how you manage associations
- This is how you monitor the EU information tsunami
- This is how you build an EU supernetwork
- This is how you get media attention for your EU interest
- This is how you torpedo EU legislation
- This is how you lobby the EU for third countries
- Publication Date
- 28 Jan 2020
- Page Count
- 148 x 205mm
Buy EU Superlobby: Winning in Brussels
PDF ebooks can be downloaded and read on all devices including Kindle devices and apps.
Make sure you register as a newsletter subscriber. Subscribers enjoy exclusive subscriber discounts on ebooks.