“A very welcome contribution that shows the leadership qualities of European women. It inspires women working in Brussels − and beyond” Kristalina Georgieva, Chief Executive Officer, World Bank
“Reflections by a remarkable collection of European leaders that women everywhere will want to read” Anne-Marie Slaughter, President and CEO, New America Foundation
Women Leading the Way in Brussels brings together the stories of women leaders in the capital of Europe. In a series of punchy, frank, and revealing portraits, these inspirational role models, who have “made it” in a variety of sectors, share their experiences, reflect on lessons learnt, and impart advice for the next generation of aspiring women leaders.
- Facts & figures about women in decision-making in Europe.
- Advice and “dos and don’ts” for women leaders-to-be.
- How to develop more gender-inclusive organisations.
- Directory of groups which connect and support professional women in Brussels.
Table of Contents
Part I: Setting the Scene
- A Different Take on Brussels Today
- Women at Work in Brussels
- Gender Equality in Europe? − Bringing European Statistics to Life
- Why is Change so Slow in Europe?
Part II: Portraits of Women Leading the Way
- Salomé Cisnal de Ugarte, Partner, Antitrust and Competition, Hogan Lovells
- Ana Gomes, Member of the European Parliament
- Louise Harvey, Chair of Strategic Communications at FTI Consulting
- Danuta Hübner, Member of the European Parliament & former European Commissioner
- Lotte Leicht, Director of Human Rights Watch Brussels Office
- Isabella Lenarduzzi, Founder and Director of JUMP
- Oana Lungescu, NATO Spokesperson
- Ann Mettler, Head of the European Political Strategy Centre, European Commission
- Monique Pariat, Director General of European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO)
- Françoise Pissart, Managing Director at the King Baudouin Foundation
- Helga Schmid, Secretary General of the European External Action Service (EEAS)
- Shéhérazade Semsar-de Boisséson, Publisher and Managing Director of POLITICO
- Pastora Valero, Vice President at CISCO Systems
- Margot Wallström, Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs, former European Commissioner
Part III: Reflections and Conclusions
- Tips from the Top: How Remarkable Women Lead in Brussels
- Moving Forward
Part IV: Resources for Change-makers
- Recommendations to Increase Gender Diversity
- The Vibrant World of Brussels Women’s Networks and Support Initiatives
Annex I Our Personal Suggestions for Learning More
Annex II Acronyms, Concepts and Jargon
200 pages with 14 photos.
Follow Women Leading the Way in Brussels on Facebook
A Short Video Presentation of the Book
- Publication Date
- 27 Sep 2017
- Page Count
- 138 x 216mm